Jude and I are both on the board of the Downtown Austin Neighborhood Association (DANA) – a grassroots community organization dedicated to improving the lives of those who live, work, and / or play in the Downtown Austin Community. It’s an organization that we believe in, and an organization that is affecting positive change in our community.
For our readers who are downtown residents (or, who spend a significant amount of time downtown for work or for pleasure), I urge you to become a member of the organization.
A little info:
Who is DANA?
- DANA is a neighborhood organization that speaks with a unified neighborhood voice before the City of Austin;
- DANA’s mission is to improve the quality of life for those who live, work, and play in downtown Austin; and
- DANA manages shared responsibilities on behalf of all downtown residents, including keeping our neighborhood safe, clean, well-designed, well-intentioned and livable.
Membership Benefits of DANA
- Timely access to information about issues affecting the neighborhood through open board meetings, the monthly e-newsletter, Urban Core Happy Hours, and other networking opportunities;
- Ability to have an EFFECTIVE voice for important issues affecting residents that occur throughout the downtown neighborhood;
- Networking and camaraderie with more than 1,400 individuals who also have an interest in living, working, and playing downtown;
- Free admittance to DANA Urban Core Happy Hours (10 every year) – these occur on the 2nd Thursday of the month;
- Information on exclusive deals throughout the year on shopping, entertainment, memberships and more; and
- Access to neighborhood philanthropic efforts through partnerships with organizations such as Caritas, Art Alliance Austin, and The Trail Foundation.
DANA offers 4 VERY REASONABLY PRICED annual membership options:
- Individual ($25.00)
- Household ($40.00) The Household level includes a second household member at Individual level.
- Sponsor ($100.00) This Business Sponsor level includes a full listing on the DANA Sponsor page including logo, marketing information (250 word max), and a link to your website. Plus, your logo with link will appear on our rotating homepage banner.
- Non-Profit Sponsor ($50.00) The Non-Profit Business Sponsorship level includes a full listing on the DANA Sponsor page including logo, marketing information (250 word max), and a link to your website. Plus, your logo with link will appear on our rotating homepage banner.
The DANA organization is essentially split into two “divisions”:
1) The Social Team (The Social Team organized the fun Urban Core Happy Hours, and is responsible for outreach and communication to membership)
2) Public Policy Committee (PPC works with City Council and other groups to influence important policy decisions that affect Downtown Austin. Current topics on which the PPC is working: Downtown Austin Plan, Proposed Ordinance for 4-Day Temporary Music Venue Permits, Comprehensive Plan, Outdoor Music Venue Ordinance Controversy, Rainey Street Surface Parking and Pedestrian Safety, Downtown Paid Parking Extended Hours, TxDOT’s “My 35 Committee” Report, Pease School Potential Closure).
DANA is also responsible for the annual Downtown Living Tour (the DLT) – a showcase of downtown properties designed to show the interesting architecture, diverse options, and multiple benefits of choosing downtown Austin as your home!
Members are invited to attend these board “subcommittee meetings,” as well as the main board meeting of the organization.
You can pay by Check, Credit card or PayPal by selecting one of the membership types listed above.
You do not have to live downtown to join DANA, but only members that live downtown are eligible to vote in Board elections.
For more information on becoming involved in a social, knowledgeable, and influential organization – check out the website (www.downtownaustin.org), or feel free to contact me directly!