Downtown Austin’s historic Brown Building was originally constructed as an office building. In 1997 the building was added to the National Register of Historical Places, and in 1999 the building was converted into a 90-unit loft condominium.
Built in 1938 by Herman Brown (of Brown & Root construction fame) and designed by the leading Austin architect of the day, Charles Henry Page, this was known as the Wall Street of Austin in the 1940s and ’50s.
Home to the original KTBC radio – where the broadcast careers of Cactus Pryor and John Connally got started – and the bustling corner drugstore – where more than a few political rumors got started as well.
[idx-listings linkid=”72582″ count=”25″ showlargerphotos=”true”]