The 9th Annual Downtown Living Tour is a couple of weeks away. Produced by the Downtown Austin Neighborhood Association (DANA), the tour is a great way to tour downtown living, at your own pace, all in one day!
This year, although the tour will still be self-guided, the tour will also have shuttle service to facilitate access to each tour stop (nice!), and will showcase the following buildings:
- The Whitley Apartments
- The Shore Condos
- Park West Residences
- 360 Condos
- Avenue Lofts (one of the few Art Deco buildings downtown)
- The Four Seasons Residences -RECEPTION – (VIP only, and only open from 4pm-5pm)
- Brazos Lofts (check out the history, formerly Capital Chevrolet)
- Towers of Town Lake (Penthouse, VIP only, only open from 1-4pm)
- Capital Studios (to-be-built Foundations Communities project designed by Dick Clark Architecture)
- LBJ’s apartment at JJ Pickle Building (VIP only, only open from 1-4pm)
- More stops to be announced!
There are some stops of particular note, primarily the official office suite of President Lyndon Baines Johnson at the JJ Pickle Building, an office suite he used during his presidency and the site of such landmark meetings as the Cold War discussions on December 6, 1966, which culminated in the first agreement with the Soviet Union to limit nuclear weapons, known as the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT).
The JJ Pickle building itself is part of a two-block complex of Federal Buildings in downtown Austin, and was designed by Texas Firms Page-Southerland-Page and Brooks & Barr, and is textbook 1960s high-rise design.
Here are a few exclusive pictures of the interior of the office suite, which is remarkably intact.
The LBJ Suite is only open to VIP ticket holders, and there a very limited amount of VIP tickets – so we would recommend…